Estate Litigation When a Person Dies Without a Will or Trust in New Jersey?

Written by Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. of Hanlon Niemann & Wright, a New Jersey Will Contest Probate Litigation Attorney

njepla-couple-coutchIf a person dies with no Will or trust, that person’s estate is distributed according to the statutory laws of New Jersey. This process is called intestate succession (see below). That is why a Will or trust is important. If the deceased has assets and no Will exists, a formal court proceeding is required to be filed so that an administrator can be appointed by a Superior Court judge.  The administrator is then legally empowered to represent the best interests of the estate.

Many times, if the deceased owned assets or property jointly with another person or in trust, estate administration is not necessary since the ownership interest of the decedent automatically goes to the surviving owner. This automatic transfer of ownership of joint accounts, etc. is what leads to problems. I have identified for you how the absence of a will or trust after death or the absence of a probate estate when a will or trust is found yet no $$$ is claimed to exist, can suggest numerous reasons to believe fraud, undue influence and other wrongful conduct occurred pre-death. Visit my page found under the table of contents entitled “Challenging the Wrongful Transfer of Assets and $$$ Before or After the Death of a Person” (CLICK HERE).

That is why it is so important that you insist to be named the administrator of the estate so that you can independently investigate the entirety of the decedents finances before he or she died. You’ll have the full legal authority of the New Jersey probate code on your side including the power of subpoena to bank records, brokerage accounts, and personal accounts. If you confirm fraud and other wrongful conduct you’ll be able to take the deposition of witnesses under oath and recover the stolen/converted funds and (potentially) counsel fees and costs of litigation. And remember, if you are asked to renunciate being appointed the administrator, never, ever, ever agree without first discussing it with me or a qualified probate estate attorney in New Jersey.    

Renunciating as Executor/Administrator


If the total assets of the deceased exceed $20,000.00 then the County Surrogate must appoint an administrator. Before someone is appointed, all of the next of kin of the deceased must be notified and each must renounce their rights to be the administrator. The decision to renunciate should only be made after consultation with an experienced New Jersey Estate Administration and Probate attorney. Significant legal rights may be affected by an ill advised refusal to serve as an administrator to an estate administration.  In fact, almost always I advise clients not to renunciate administration but to advocate and fight to become the administrator.  I’ll explain why.  

Contact Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. at or call him toll-free at (855) 376-5291 should you have any questions about the issues of renunciation of the rights to be estate administrator.

Probate & Estate Litigation in New Jersey

What Happens if You Die Without A Last Will in NJ (Part 1)

What Happens if You Die Without A Last Will in NJ (Part 2)


Prior to her death in 2008, I was my Mom’s Power of Attorney.   She moved to North Carolina to live out her final years with me and my family.   Previously, she had lived her entire life in New Jersey.

After her death, property in New Jersey left to me and my siblings, was supposed to be sold and divided among us but unfortunately an unhappy sibling refused to cooperate.

After researching attorneys in New Jersey, I hired Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. to represent my interests.   I am glad that I did.   His office was terrific and advocated forcibly and professionally on my behalf.   We were kept informed throughout the entirety of the case and the quality of the work was excellent.   While stressful at times, the legal dispute was successfully resolved, the case against me dismissed and I was able to cause the property to be sold and the proceeds distributed.

Mr. Niemann and his very capable associates and paraprofessionals did a competent and thorough job and I recommend them to all who are reading this testimonial.

– Craig and Lisa Rose – Beaufort, North Carolina


Who are the Beneficiaries of a New Jersey “Intestate Estate” Without a Will?

When there is no Will, the law defines who will inherit an estate:

A spouse, civil union partner, or domestic partner and children of the decedent or their descendants are given first priority. Then follows grandchildren who take their deceased parent’s share unless all children are deceased, then all grandchildren share equally.

If there is no spouse, civil union or domestic partner and no children, then surviving parents take the entire estate. If no parent survives, brothers and sisters will take equally. Nieces and nephews will take their deceased parent’s share.

If you have no civil union or domestic partner or spouse; child or descendant; brother or sister; grandparent; uncle or aunt or children of an aunt and uncle, then the estate is considered to be escheat. Escheat in New Jersey is not a good thing.

To learn how to avoid escheating an estate to New Jersey and protecting your rights as an heir or administrator of the estate, contact Fredrick P. Niemann toll-free at (855) 376-5291 or email him at

If you are the administrator of an estate without a Will and are under attack by beneficiaries or omitted beneficiaries, or if you are a beneficiary or omitted beneficiary of a deceased family member without a Last Will & Testament, then contact Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. today, toll-free at (855) 376-5291 or email him at to learn your rights and protect your interests.


Fred Niemann, Will Contest Litigation Attorney in NJ

Fred Niemann, Will Contest Litigation Attorney in NJHanlon Niemann has 30 years of complex estate and will contest experience. We’re experienced trial lawyers. We know the courts and how to represent your interests.

Call us toll-free at (855) 376-5291 or e-mail Fredrick P. Niemann at to set up an office consultation at your convenience to discuss your particular needs.

He welcomes your calls and inquiries and you’ll find him easy to talk to and very approachable.